Most homeowners find themselves clueless when a pipe suddenly burst because this is not a common plumbing issue. Nevertheless, there are some signs that indicate burst pipes like a noticeable pooling of water outside that does not seem to drain, paint bubbling or mould patches.
The effects of a destroyed pipe can be quite distressing. It is important to call a plumber as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your pipeline and property. Whilst you are waiting for the help to come, here are some do’s and don’ts during this major plumbing issue.
- Since we are dealing with a water leak, electricity should be turned off. To avoid any dangerous situation (because water and electricity does not go well together)
- Turn off the main valve. By doing so, you are preventing any further damage.
- Open the faucet
- Identify where is the main source of the problem promptly.
- Mop the excess water and put your furniture in a safe area.
- Open all windows and doors to help to dry the rooms. You can also use dehumidifiers and other ventilation to make the process quicker.
- Clean the damage thoroughly. This is to ensure to prevent any mould build-up due to this plumbing disaster.
- If the pipes seemed to be frozen, do not attempt to use an open flame to thaw it.
- Use any detergent and cleaning products on the area.
- Lift or remove any carpeting
- Try to fix the pipe yourself. Let the professional asses and repair the damages.
It is consoling to know you have professionals to call when burst pipes happen. Zambezi Plumbing has a well-versed staff that can help you fix broken pipes quickly and can respond to your needs in a very timely manner. They also have the right tools like the digital leaks detection to spot even the tiniest hole or crack in your pipeline. With them, you are guaranteed to receive the highest quality of service. All you need to do is contact them and their friendly staff can surely attend to your plumbing dilemma.